Along with alexandrite and pearl, moonstone is one of the classic birthstones for the month of June, and this article shines a spotlight on these fabulous, mesmerizing gemstones!
Facts about moonstone
Moonstone is a type of mineral known as feldspar. Is is usually white to colourless, but can be found in varying pale, cloudy or milky shades of yellow, blue and green, and can even be found in a rainbow array of beige, smoky gray, brown, red, orange and black. The rarest, most sought after, and therefore most expensive, moonstones are the bluer ones.
The name “moonstone” comes from the white, almost magical iridescence within these stones that is thought to resemble moonshine; blue-white light shimmers over the surface of cut and polished stones, caused by incoming rays of light being refracted inside the stones themselves. It’s not hard to understand why these beautiful gemstones are thought to have magical, mystical properties!
Moonstone is mined in Brazil, India, Madagascar, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and the United States, and is usually cut into cabochons for maximum play of light.
Moonstone in history and legend
- Ancient Romans associated these stones with the Goddess Diana, and believed these gems were formed from actual moonlight.
- Ancient Hindus believed moonstone to be created from small fragments of moonbeams.
- In ancient Greece, they were worn to reconcile lovers and were associated with the Goddesses Aphrodite and Selene.
- During the middle ages, it was commonly believed that you could look into a moonstone and learn the future.
- Many cultures believed the inner light of moonstones to be the light of good spirits that lived within the stones.
Moonstone uses today
- In India these stones are still considered holy, sacred stones; they are also believed to be “dream stones” imbued with the power to bring the wearer beautiful visions at night.
- In Arabic countries moonstone is considered a symbol of fertility and women often wear moonstones sewn out of sight into their robes.
- Moonstone is currently the state gem for Florida.
Metaphysical properties of moonstone
Moonstone is considered the stone of new beginnings. Strongly connected to the moon, this stone promotes intuition and empathy and is said to enhance psychic abilities. Moonstone calms emotions and helps to prevent overreaction to situations, and is also said to balance male-female energies. It brings the unconscious forward to the conscious mind and promotes lucid dreaming, especially around time of the full moon. It helps to reduce stress, and reminds us that everything is part of a natural cycle of change.
Healing properties of moonstone
Beyond the metaphysical properties listed above, moonstone is also thought to have the following healing properties:
- Strongly associated with female energy, many believe moonstone to powerfully affect the female reproductive system; it is believed to aid in conception, pregnancy and childbirth and to alleviate menstrual cycle issues.
- It is believed to balance the hormonal system and alleviate hyperactivity in children.
- When taken as an elixir, it is thought to alleviate insomnia and prevent sleepwalking.
If you’d like more information about moonstone, check out this great article from Gem Select. And if you’d like to browse beautiful moonstone jewelry, check out my web site – all of my birthstone designs can be customized to include this stunning gemstone.